Sunday 17 August 2014

What irks and motivates me

The other day I was leaving for a painting competition and asked dad to wish me luck. His very amusing and appropriate reply was, 'wish you an unbiased judgement.' Another day I announced at home that I had been selected for an essay writing contest. Then his reply was,' only to be subjected to subjectivity.' That's the story of my life...
Management has prescribed many theories of motivation in western school of thought. Paradoxically, our greatest scripture, the Bhagwat Gita advocates the detached theory of self-motivation, wherein, a person works without being attached to the fruits of that work. Gautama Buddha substantiated it by quoting that expectations are the only cause of grief in one's life.
The latter is more preferable in my scenario. Being attached to the aftereffects of my efforts would be like trying to look for excuses to disappoint myself. I mean, you would go out of your way to make an event successful only to learn that someone else is credited.
What then, could possibly motivate me? The answer is, the satisfaction of accomplishing the task. I don't see any way in which that can be hindered. Expecting anything more or anything at all from the people who judge me is folly.
All I can do though, is seek more objective platforms where my efforts are done justice to. One must leave the-putting-people-to-justice part to a power more supreme. So, of course, ignorance for outcome is bliss.
All you have to do is be happy by doing what makes you happy. Someone appreciates you, excellent; someone doesn't, you're still doing great.




         

No comments:

Post a Comment