Sunday 17 August 2014

Why do I hate exams?

Examinations are something, detested even by the brightest of all students.Though, they essentially are harmless,its only their consequences which we dread.
The bright inventor of exams only had an innocuous intention of assessing students. But the sands of time have perverted their purpose.
In fact, I've begun to find them almost cynical.Obtaining good marks has somehow christened itself to be an S.I. unit of intelligence.
However, studying for a test is a taboo in my world. Even the most boring novels would find a better merit than a textbook before an exam. Creating random, incoherent patterns on notebooks becomes very constructive at that moment.
Otherwise, on any regular day, I would remain preoccupied by anything but studies.
I would  go around doing eccentric things, which are my so called  physics' experiments. I would lock myself up in my study and solve problems, as my mom would say, for an eternity. I would badger everyone in the house with my queries.Finally they would admit that my mind is way too abstract to be understood by people from this planet.
But suddenly this change before exams?  After reflecting for some time I found out why it happens.
The philosophy of 'cramming and understanding' is one of the much discussed topics today. So, elaborating on it would be captioning the obvious. Fortunately, that is not the problem with me.
I don't know about anyone else but I do have a free will. And how far I have understood myself, I have a will to study for the sake of knowledge.
But when that knowledge is imposed, I feel as if my free will is being stimulated with. Hence, you may call it my animal instinct, I feel like resisting. As long as I am studying by choice, I'm cool. But as soon as I'm told to do it, well, you're in for the worst of my temperaments, let alone obedience.
I finally figured a way out of it, which is not so helpful for most people;  Pretend that the subject you are studying, is coincidentally and very luckily, the subject for which you have a test the next day. In fact, be surprised when the question paper is handed over to you. Then be happy because you know the answer to all the questions. Period.
So I infer that the solution to a problem sometimes lies in convincing yourself of a totally different sense of reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment